Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Home Sweet Home


It's hard to believe, but we've been living in Amsterdam for almost a month now! After four weeks, it has become a reality that we're not just here for a vacation, we actually live here. For example, we can now get around town without the use of a map, we very regularly use our bike bells, we've figured out which stores offer what at the best price, and certain Dutch words are starting to stick!

Another indication that we're settling in is the fact that I've started writing new "To Do" lists. You know you're "home" when you start writing lists of all the regular everyday items you need to get done in a day. OK, well at least I know I'm home! As many of you know, I enjoy my "To Do" lists. In this case, enjoy is defined as my complete addiction and dependence on writing daily (sometimes hourly) lists. If this concept is foreign to you, consider the list I "managed" during the six weeks we had to pack up and move from Vancouver to Amsterdam - it was formulated in an Excel spreadsheet, colour-coded, and over 100 items long! Incredibly smooth international move? Yes. Somewhat pathetic? Yes.

Last week, the number one item on my new Amsterdam "To Do" list was crossed off - we found a flat to rent starting September 1st! Under normal circumstances, finding a rental property should be a relatively easy task; however, looking for available furnished housing, in a good neighbourhood, within a reasonable price range can be challenging in European cities - Amsterdam included. To avoid a lot of pain and heartache, we engaged a housing agency and within one week and four viewings later, we found our new home - Cornelis Anthoniszstraat.


Located in the Oud Zuid (Old South) neighbourhood - which for us was the property's main attraction - we will be living a few minutes walk from Amsterdam's famous museums, Vondelpark, the Albert Cuyp street market and loads of shops and cafes. Chris' commute to work will remain 10 minutes by bike. Another benefit of being south of the city centre is that our neighbourhood will consist of mainly local residents since tourists generally don't venture any further south than the museums. We're counting on the fact this will make a difference to the level of street noise at night.

While the location is superb and the flat has been recently renovated, we will definitely be living "Euro-style". Small adjustments (or sacrifices) will include climbing two flights of dangerously steep and narrow stairs to reach our flat, a tiny bedroom just large enough to house the bed and that's it, the smallest fridge and oven known to humankind, and almost next to no storage space. Where we're going to store the belongings that are arriving in our 10 shipped boxes in September, I have no idea. But that's the thing, when required, you think creatively and make it work. And for this location and the price we were able to negotiate, we are going to make it work.

As for the next item on my "To Do" list, it's a simple one:
  • Charlotte to find new job where Dutch isn't a requirement

I'm working on my Excel spreadsheet right now...

4 comments:

  1. I ADORE your new place!!!! I especially hope that you keep that printer/copier/fax in the fireplace. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks Ang, for providing some clarification on where I should put our printer/fax/copier/scanner once it arrives in the shipment. I've been trying to figure that one out. In the fake fireplace makes so much sense. Keep the creative storage suggestions coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, flats like that are hard to come by in European cities - looks wonderfully central too. I love crossing something off a list and knowing I've done it well - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flat! It's gorgeous!

    As for the To-Do lists. I love em.

    ReplyDelete